Subject: RE: [Leica] Re: MF rangefinders (was M6 with studio flash try out)
From: "Austin Franklin" <darkroom@ix.netcom.com>
Date: Tue, 11 Feb 2003 09:41:27 -0500

> What do you (and others) think about MF rangefinders such as  the Mamiya
> 6 or 7.  I've bought and sold old Bronica's for the same reason you
> describe, and finally admitted that having a meter in the body is the
> only way to get many shots.  I also considered  Fuji (no meter) and
> Bronica RF645 (no used ones).  I thought the Mamiya 6 would work like a
> Leica M7 and would actually get used, then I'll thin out the old
> dust-collectors (but just a bit).

Hi Phil,

My biggest complaint with most MF rangefinders is they lenses are SLOW SLOW
SLOW...

I tried a Fuji GS645, but the lense is too slow, and anyway, I find Fuji MF
lenses to be quite bad at the out of focus renderings (bokeh)...the OOF
areas are chunky and seem to vibrate, they aren't smooth like the Leica.

I also tried a bunch of Super Ikontas, which I like a lot, but though they
are very well built, and the images can be pretty good, they are older, and
the optics, in my opinion, aren't really up to modern standards...but the
one that sticks out in my mind, though a bit finicky to use, is the Plaubel
Makina 670.  It shoots 6x7 120/220, built-in meter, and an 80/2.8 Nikkor
lense.  It's the fastest MF rangefinder I could find.  The bokeh is very
nice, and overall, I'm quite pleased with the camera.  Another consideration
might be a Rollei 2.8 TLR.  It's light and small like a rangefinder, and has
a reasonably fast lense.

Regard,

Austin