Subject: [Leica] States' Rights and Racism
From: Marc James Small <msmall@infi.net>
Date: Mon, 10 Feb 2003 11:43:26 -0500

At 06:42 PM 2/9/03 -0800, Mark Rabiner wrote:

>The "states rights" thing did start out, Marc, I just read with Tricky
>Dick when he was first running for President everyone wanted to know
>which side he'd take on the Civil rights issue which was up there on
>peoples minds and how he'd handle it.

Mark

You have your facts sadly in error here.  Strom Thurmond ran for President
in 1948 on the "States Rights Party" platform, and ran on only three
issues:  retention of segregation, reduction of the Federal government, and
a strong, anti-Communist foreign policy.  That is where the confusion
between "states' rights" and "racism" arose.  But, just because the term
might have occasionally been used as a "code word" (which I seriously
doubt, despite the claims of the Left) does not, of course, mean that there
is no validity to the concept.

Nixon actually supported the early Civil Rights bills as did the national
Republican Party.  While the Republican Party in the early 1960's was
thundering for states' rights, it was the Republicans in Congress who got
the Civil Rights legislation passed.  A large percentage of the Democrats
voted against these bills and not necessarily those just from Southern
states.

Marc

msmall@infi.net  FAX:  +276/343-7315
Cha robh bąs fir gun ghrąs fir!