Subject: Re: [Leica] ACLU and Your Right To "Keep Pushing That Shutter"
From: Mark Rabiner <mark@rabinergroup.com>
Date: Sun, 09 Feb 2003 18:42:26 -0800

Marc James Small wrote:

> At 01:55 PM 2/9/03 -0500, bdcolen wrote:
> >No, Marc- But "states rights" sure has allot of ugly connotations for
> >allot of people. ;-)
>
> Not really, BD.  The attack on "states' rights" as some cover-up for racist
> or anti-semitic thought is simply yet one more effort by the Left to smudge
> our constitutional underpinnings.  After all, California recently won a
> MAJOR environmental fight in the Federal Courts -- by claiming "states'
> rights".  I doubt if anyone on the Left Coast regards Grey Davis as a
> closet KKK member, at least not of the ilk of Robert Byrd or Fulbright.
>
> Marc

The "states rights" thing did start out, Marc, I just read with Tricky
Dick when he was first running for President everyone wanted to know
which side he'd take on the Civil rights issue which was up there on
peoples minds and how he'd handle it.
He came out and said he was for "states rights" an not too common phrase
at the time but everyone knew what that meant.
The powers that be in the South were very pleased. After Tricky Dick
crashed and burned that torch was passed on.

A crasser was of putting this might be "let the ignorant bigots in those
stupid little states repress the majority of it's people by keeping the
influence of the Federal Government to a minimum."
It's a horrible legacy we inherit on that. Conservatives and liberals
alike. Nadarites too!

I look back at those times and I think: was it the Republicans who were
for the Vietnam war and against Civil rights and Liberal Democrats were
against the Vietnam war and for Civil Rights? I hope it was not that
clear a deal.

As they're running the government now i hope they've learned some
humility. I find myself unlike most of my fiends and most of the world
agreeing with our governments position on removing Saddam Hessian from
the face of the earth as quickly and sloppily as possible do not pass go
do not collect $200. I think when you recognize your enemy and you know
he's out to get you and is in the process of doing so you move in on
them before they move in on you. It's a natural following of 911.
This will no doubt need to be brought to the other forum.

Mark Rabiner
Portland, Oregon USA
Photography

Website: http://www.rabinergroup.com