Subject: RE: [Leica] 8 bit vs. 16 bit B&W files
From: "Austin Franklin" <darkroom@ix.netcom.com>
Date: Sun, 9 Feb 2003 12:42:40 -0500

Richard,

> Can you obtain good B&W prints working with 8 bit files compared
> to 16 bit files?

It depends on what you mean by "working with".  If you do any tonal
corrections (aside from very very very minor ones) with 8 bit data, you will
get posterization.  If you want to work with 8 bit files, get the tonality
correct in the scanner driver (which means it is done using high bit data).
Do you know what is meant by "tonal corrections" as opposed to changes that
do not change the tonal curve?

> If
> I use the Epson 2200 printer, am I limiting the output quality?

That depends on the printer, printer driver, and how you print.  The human
eye can only see, at most, a few hundred graytones in any give lighting.
Some of the quadtone systems (like Piezography) smooth the tonal transitions
so though you can't distinguish the different tones, the transition is
smooth between them.  This is a good thing.

I am not familiar with the 2200.  Does the 2200 use more than one ink for
printing B&W?  If so, you are subject to a dither pattern using only one
ink, which is far inferior to using quadtone inks (four tones).  If you are
dedicating this printer to B&W printing, you might want to consider getting
quad/hex tone inks for it and either using the piezography driver (if it
supports the 2200) or something like Paul Roark's curves.  If you want more
info on any of this, please ask.

Regards,

Austin