Subject: [Leica] Re:800 speed films
From: "Roy Feldman" <rjfphoto@hotmail.com>
Date: Fri, 7 Feb 2003 19:59:35 -0500

Part of my job involves editing and scanning a large number of images every
week. I am scanning from about 5 different photographers and we use 800
speed film a lot. We like that you can use it in almost any lighting and
just fill in with a little flash (often at press conferences we very  far
away and the increased speed carrys the flash a lot farther. We also do a
lot of shooting in very mixed lighting.
I generally give the crew a couple rolls of every new film that comes out
and here are a few impressions.
#1 best all around (difficult lighting) film is NPZ
#2 Press 800 (clips dark areas quickly)
#3 Kodak supra, but this film is being discontinued. I like it a lot (buy
american and all that) but I'm not about to set up profiles for a soon to be
stopped product.
#4Portra , it's probably just the scanners we use (Polaroid 120, Kodak
HR500) but this stuff looks twice as grainy as the FUJI products.
As I said, these observations are all about how they scan(all prints made on
a Lightjet). They are based on 5 pro shooting over a variety of venues and
are totally subjective.
Roy Feldman