Subject: Re: [Leica] Re: [private] <-----
From: Mark Rabiner <mark@rabinergroup.com>
Date: Sat, 01 Feb 2003 00:09:34 -0800

Nathan Wajsman wrote:

> I post my PAW announcements and my Friday FS message to both the LUG and
> the LEG. I used to do that by simply including each list in the TO field
> of the message. But then some LEG subscribers got upset because they do
> not like receiving messages with the [Leica] tag in the header (I have
> never understood why, but the don't). So to accomodate them, I now
> usually post by having the LEG as a TO recipient and the LUG as a BCC
> recipient. That way the tag-averse LEGgers are happy and so am I because
> the message hits both lists without me having to post two separate
> messages. However, as we see from this episode, it can lead to LUGgers
> replying to what they think is a private message because of the absence
> of the tag in the header of my posting. I guess every solution to a
> problem has unintended consequences...
>
> Nathan
>
> Martin Howard wrote:
> > Austin Franklin wrote:
> >
> >> Hey Martin, what, exactly does "[private]" mean when two thousand people
> >> read it?
> >>

> > Nathan's message appeared in my personal inbox, not my LUG box.  I just
> > replied to the sender (which was Nathan's address) rather than trudging
> > through the header fields of the message.  Some automated piece of
> > equipment somewhere had changed "Reply-To:" to the LUG, but for some
> > reason (presumably because Nathan cross-posted it) my email program
> > didn't pick up on it as a LUG message and left it in my private inbox.
> >
> > Sometimes, I really hate "smart" technology.
> >
> > M.

I also have the same problems with these messages on Fridays from Nathan
and also don't like seeing LEG at the top and certainly don't like the
fact that i could inadvertently do a reply and be replying to the LEG
which I'm not on and would never see.  Is not cross posting on the email
lists generally frowned upon? I'm not sure. I know cross DRESSING is but
how would we know?!
We know when we are cross posted.
We know when we are post toasted.
I don't want to cross swords with Nathan a guy after my own heart in the
Leica photography department but such crosstalk makes my eyes cross.

Mark Rabiner
Portland, Oregon USA
Photography

Web Sight: http://www.rabinergroup.com