Subject: Re: [Leica] Astia
From: Mark Rabiner <mark@rabinergroup.com>
Date: Fri, 31 Jan 2003 18:15:17 -0800

Teresa299@aol.com wrote:
><Snip>
>
> Maybe certain sizes, but Astia seems to be a popular film for fashion and
> portraits.  I think I remember hearing the rumour last year, and someone
> saying it was false.
>
> Kim

I hope to be shooting a lot of Astia this year. As far as I go Astia is
2 hour Kodachrome.
Now that Kodachrome seems to be gone just in time for the new Millennium
Astia is my main hope for getting the look i always got, this time with
a test in the mourning. Maybe not the permanence but the skintones look
darn close to Kodachrome.
I got me Niiiiikon camera. Love to take the Phooooootagraphs.
Not I'm shooting Astia with my Leica.

When Astia came out I thought they named it after Nick and Nora
Charles's dog in "The Thin Man".
My German Shepard goes bananas whenever that dog appears on the screen.
Something about terriers. Something about THAT terrier.
I just checked and the character of the dog "Asta" as played by "Asta".
He (or she) must have felt very close to the role.

The other Fuji films are all named after cheese spreads but this one
after a famous dog star. (Dog star?!)

Asta was in many of my favorite films. Other than the Thin Man series
she played "Mr. Atlas" in "Topper takes a Tip."
was in the super classic "Bringing Up Baby (1938)" Katherine Hepurn Cary
Grant. (Remember the Dinosaur bone?)
Asta was pivotal to the plot in this Hollywood super classic. (thought
that dog looked familiar)
Many people think this is the funnist film of all time.
Funner than "A fish named Wanda" even.

The year before played "Mr. Smith" in "The Awful Truth" Carey Grant this
time with Irene Dunne. Even more of a super classic than "Bringing Up
Baby" if that's possible.
Would we have had Carey Grant if there was no Asta?

So anyway I thought at the time "why would Fuji name a Camera-film after
the Wire Hair Terrier that dominated Screwball comedies in the 30's?
Why call a car "Toyota."(I really didn't think anyone would be buying
any of those)

Personally I like the sound of "Fujichrome."

Mark Rabiner
Portland, Oregon USA
Photography

Web Sight: http://www.rabinergroup.com