Subject: Re: [Leica] Learning to see
From: Adam Bridge <abridge@mac.com>
Date: Fri, 31 Jan 2003 14:20:01 -0800

On 1/31/03 Martin Howard  wrote:

>Do you know of any exercises that help develop a photographers eye?
>They would need to be relatively focussed ideas: "shoot pictures and
>compare to others" doesn't quite cut the mustard.

Etudes are always a good idea. When I was trying ever-so-hard to learn the piano
I always liked them.

I'd like to make a slightly different observation, however. It pays to teach
good critique. It's insufficient to say "I don't like it" or not to respond at
all, just as it is bad practice to talk about the terrible taste of the
individual who made the image.

Giving good critique is another way of learning to see and adds the risk of
openness.

Adam Bridge