Subject: Re: [Leica] rare lenses
From: Douglas Herr <telyt@earthlink.net>
Date: Wed, 29 Jan 2003 10:32:37 -0800 (PST)

Rei Shinozuka <shino@panix.com> wrote:

> i happened to stumble across this page:
>
> http://www.leicagallery.com/rarityratingslenses.htm
>
> and it rates the telyt 400/560 for M as "common" or "fairly
> common" which i have to disagree with.

I agree with you, Rei.  The visoflex version of the f/6.8 lens' mount tube is not what I'd call 'common'.  The good news is that the mount tube is the only part that is viso-specific.  The lens heads are identical to the R version of the lens.

> in contrast, it rates the 280/f4.8 as "rare" and these appear
> to be fairly common to me.

On the unmentionable auction website, the thread-mount versions seem common enough, while the last version (bayonet) is fairly common IMHO.

Doug Herr
Birdman of Sacramento
http://www.wildlightphoto.com