Subject: Re: [Leica] Continued catch-up: Nathan's PAW 1 and 2 now up also
From: Alastair Firkin <firkin@ncable.net.au>
Date: Tue, 28 Jan 2003 18:27:58 +1100

>Thanks for the detailed comments, Martin. You are right about
>bending my knees, should definitely have done it with the street
>shot, and will try next time I am in Copenhagen--the manhole cover
>will still be there, there are always people walking by, and rain is
>a certainty in Denmark!

If you get to low, the cover will look like a disc, though I think to
make it central in the theme of the image, you could be closer

>With the pigeons, it was a bit harder--I was already so close to
>them that I am afraid any additional movement would have scared them
>off.

Yes, doesn't quite work: I know what you "wanted", and its a great
personal memory shot, but you need something to tell the story, like
rising steam for we "onlookers". The back ground is distracting, and
lets be really picky: snow on the adjacent cobble stones, a little
steam, longer lens and I think you have the making of a BW wildlife
photographer of the year image ;-)

>The comments about the snow, man & dog picture are interesting. I
>definitely think that the trees are needed, but get your point about
>the  intruding lamppost. There is no neighbour whom I could ask for
>use of the balcony, my father's apartment is the last one in that
>direction. Perhaps a 75mm lens would have been the answer, the 50
>would certainly not have worked. It is a difficult scene but I keep
>coming back to it.

The lamp doesn't worry me, and I thought the image looked great:
haveing said that, it doesn't fit with the other images, and came as
a bit of a shock when it downloaded: what was it. I then saw that the
dog was playing fetch, so turn the image to vertical, use  a 90 and
frame just the man and his dog, and the image would have worked,
albeit in another way: best of the group.

I also liked the skating image, though it was less adventurous: the
other images show a new "streak" to your thinking this year.

Cheers
- --
Alastair Firkin

http://www.afirkin.com