Subject: RE: [Leica] The 40/2.0 Was Sharp, But...
From: "Buzz Hausner" <buzz.hausner@verizon.net>
Date: Mon, 27 Jan 2003 07:02:46 -0500

Oh, you have the test negatives to prove it?  Why didn't you say so in
the first place, Jerry.  I now stand corrected and concede that the
40/2.0 was the sharpest spherical lens ever sold by Leica.

Over the years I have used a great many...but certainly not all...M
mount lenses.  Each of them (with the exception of the 135/2.8
Tele-Fido) was in its own way wonderful.  Maybe some are sharper than
others, I for one certainly don't notice, especially since I take
pictures hand held and rarely print larger than 16X20s.

Maybe you're actually right, Jerry, and the forty IS "sharper" (whatever
that means...and let the argument ring forth) than a fifty Summicron.
Neither of these lenses fits in my "ideal kit" in any case (which case
includes an M-6 classic,  a spherical 35 Summicron, and the
much-maligned skinny Tele-Elmarit, neither of which would win any
sharpness contest).

	Buzz Hausner