Subject: Re: [Leica] M motor drive/winder/RabidWinder
From: "Emanuel Lowi" <mano@proxyma.net>
Date: Thu, 23 Jan 2003 20:36:23 -0500

"Wasn't the "old New York Leicamotor" designed by DAG's father
when he was with Remco?

Jerry"

Norman Goldberg, DAG's dad, indeed designed a motor for the Leica M2 and marketed it
under the Camcraft name. A subsequent version was sold by TPI.  Leitz New York later
bought that design and components, rebadged it and handled sales. Early-ish on,
ordinary M2 cameras had to be sent in for the the additional contacts needed to
"communicate" with the motor. These were incorporated at the factory into the
purpose-built M2-M, M4-M and M4-MOT cameras.

The New York Leicamotor is a wonderfully reliable, smooth-operating unit. I've never
encountered one that no longer worked. It IS tall, but the contours match those of
the M body exactly, and the shutter release is beautifully situated on the motor's
front, making both horizontal and vertical release easy.

I'd argue that Solms should just start making M7 cameras with the appropriate
contacts for a new proper motor drive and also offer an upgrade service for older
cameras, as they do for so many other newer features we like. If they really put
their minds to it, we might be able to get motorized rewind too.

But obviously I've been smoking too much sensi.

Emanuel