Subject: RE: [Leica] M motor drive/winder/RabidWinder
From: "Austin Franklin" <darkroom@ix.netcom.com>
Date: Thu, 23 Jan 2003 17:23:24 -0500

Hi John,

> The Winder-M has its switch as part of the mounting "zu/auf" latch. The
> Winder-M just rotates when turned on.

Got that...

> The camera controls when the
> Winder/Motor works by allowing (or not) the winder/motor coupler
> rotate. Supposedly the coupler is only free to turn after the shutter
> has finished it business BUT on many cameras this does not seem to be
> the case (especially in the slower speeds).

Well, that really doesn't answer the question...because it would simply turn
when off the camera.  It obviously has some way to sense that the coupler is
free to rotate, other than it simply being loose.

> I suspect that in order to
> get the Motor-M to work when it is not mounted on a camera, you have to
> turn the mounting latch to its latched position and turn the setting
> switch to 1 or 2. Just a guess mind you...

It will do the latch switch rotation, but I haven't been able to trigger it
like the shutter release does...

Regards,

Austin