Subject: Re: [Leica] Loose Top Plate on M7
From: Dennis Painter <dennis@hale-pohaku.com>
Date: Tue, 21 Jan 2003 21:30:45 -0800

Tom.Henson@bakerbotts.com wrote:

> Well, now that I think some more about this, it was loose only on the right
> side.
>
> I did gently pull on the left side and it did appear to be tight.
>
> This also brings up the fact as to how it would move up and down on the
> right, but still be tight on the left?
>
> Is the top plate held in place by only the one screw at the twelve o'clock
> position on the lens mounting ring?

<major snip>

My understanding is that 5 things have to be unscrewed to remove a top plate.
Screw in front at the top of the lens mount is the only "visible" one.

Besides that, the collar around the wind lever must be unscrewed (most likely
from what you have said that's what was loose); there is a collar under the
rewind; the collar at the rear eyepiece, and the flash sync. (Not sure about M6
but definitely the flash syncs on M3-M2)

It takes special tools to remove these, ask John Collier, and I am surprised he
didn't weigh in one this one, or I missed it with all the stuff hitting my
inbox.

Suffice to say if you could remove the top plate yourself with just a
screwdriver that the repair folks would be raking in bundles of money for fixing
your mistake(s) ;-)))

Oh yes, the collar around the wind lever is reverse threads, just in case you
want to try it ;-)

Dennis

Replies: Reply from Jerry Lehrer <jerryleh@pacbell.net> (Re: [Leica] Loose Top Plate on M7)