Subject: Re: [Leica] Tri Elmar Repair
From: Rolfe Tessem <rolfe@ldp.com>
Date: Mon, 20 Jan 2003 15:45:31 -0500

Kit McChesney | Acmefoto wrote:

<snip>

> There have been authorized dealers selling gray market. That's another
> story, and it's ugly. Suffice it to say that it's unethical to present
> oneself as an authorized dealer, advertise U.S. products, and then sell
> someone gray market product instead.

Well, this is just complete horse pucky -- none of the dealers I know of
do this. If you do, then kindly cough up their names.

In New York, at least, I believe that EVERY Leica-authorized dealer of
any size also sells gray market, and the distinction is made very
clearly for the customer. This includes Tamarkin, Photo Village, and
even B&H. These dealers sell to a very knowledgeable user base, which
prefers to make an informed decision as to whether to purchase USA,
gray, or demo equipment (which usually carries a 1-year Leica USA
warranty). Personally, I've done all three and am glad to have the choice.

What I don't get is why there is any angst at all over the gray market
gear. When all is said and done, it all comes from Leica in Germany and
presumedly they know who they are selling it to. It's not like this
stuff fell off the back of a truck or something.

- --
Rolfe Tessem
rolfe@ldp.com
New York City