Subject: RE: [Leica] Tri Elmar Repair
From: "Austin Franklin" <darkroom@ix.netcom.com>
Date: Mon, 20 Jan 2003 09:35:23 -0500

Kit,

> International warranties are honored by Leica USA, but the repair will be
> done in Germany. Leica USA warranties are honored outside the
> U.S., but the
> camera has to be sent to the U.S. for repairs.

The warranty card does not say that, and personally, I believe that's a
violation of the warranty, except in special circumstances where the local
repair facility could not repair it, and it had to be sent to Germany.

> The Leica USA Passport
> Protection Plan Warranty is a special warranty paid for by Leica USA, over
> and above the Leica warranty provided by the factory.

I know EXACTLY what it is, and I have absolutely no interest in paying
additional money for it.  IMO, for some it's a great thing, and for others
it's merely a way of extracting more money from the customers.  IMO, it
should be an option, not mandatory.

> I think not enough folks in the U.S. (or outside the U.S.) know about the
> special protection of the U.S. warranty.

I think most everyone here does, and simply, most people just don't care,
and don't like to be forced to have to pay extra money for something they
don't want.

> Leica USA doesn't "shirk" their responsibility to repair the lens
> under the
> non-US warranty; it is my understanding, on information provided me by our
> representative, that the lens will be forwarded to Germany for
> the repairs.

To me, that is shirking.

From what I hear Nikon is playing the same "games", but Canon, on the other
hand, seems to be simply taking care of things like this with no fuss or
muss.  To ME that is they way all these companies should be doing this.
These are International companies, and these games they play just don't need
to be played any more.  You get a lot more bees with honey than you do with
vinegar, and Leica and Nikon seem to be pouring on the vinegar rather
thickly these days.

Austin