Subject: Re: [Leica] Traveling by air with RabidWinder?
From: Adam Bridge <abridge@mac.com>
Date: Sun, 19 Jan 2003 16:43:46 -0800

On 1/19/03 Don Dory  wrote:

>The trick is that the screeners are taught to look for certain things.
>These are not creative people.  So when the X-ray shows a normal camera with
>gears, springs, and long skinny sharp things they say, "oh, its a camera"
>and move on.

This sorta makes me cringe. It's not about being creative it's about following a
protocol. That's what they are supposed to do.

Personally my experiences with the TSA security people have been very positive.
They have hand-inspected the high-speed film I was carrying, understood the
problem, and accommodated me politely. I have never seen them behave
inappropriately, although I'm sure as with any large population, there are some
who go too far.

So remember some of them may be creative people, please, because treating them
as ciphers is unfair and leads to treating THEM as objects. And objects are easy
to be mean and uncivil.

Adam Bridge

Replies: Reply from "Don Dory" <dorysrus@mindspring.com> (Re: [Leica] Traveling by air with RabidWinder?)