Subject: RE: [Leica] Opinions/comments on 135/3.4 APO Telyt M lense...
From: "bdcolen" <bdcolen@earthlink.net>
Date: Sat, 18 Jan 2003 11:32:23 -0500

I have to agree with Austin on this one, Don...And I preface this by
reminding you - if anyone needs reminding - that I am NOT a worshiper in
the Church of Solms. I use Leica Ms simply because I find them to be
useful tools. I have less than no interest in the brand name, the Leitz
family, or it's name. That being said, I have three M6s, two TTLs and a
"classic," and other than a problem with the plastic tip on one advance
lever- which Leica replaced - I haven't had any problems. Are they built
like M3s? Of course not. But then virtually nothing is built today as
the corresponding item was 45 years ago. I would say, however, that the
M6s were built better than any other 35 mm cameras built today.

As to the lenses, I have or have had a 21 ASPH, 28 Summicron, two 35
Summilux ASPHs, and a 90 APO, and the only problem I have had with any
of them is a "weeping" of lubricant at the outer edge of the front
element of the 28 Summicron. Other wise, they have been "perfect" -
focus smoothly, nice and tight but not too tight - solid as rocks.

I'd definitely suggest sending your 135 APO back for a rebuild or
replacement.

B. D.