Subject: RE: [Leica] Opinions/comments on 135/3.4 APO Telyt M lense...
From: "Austin Franklin" <darkroom@ix.netcom.com>
Date: Fri, 17 Jan 2003 16:53:37 -0500

Hi Don,

> The f/stop ring flops around like it was made and fitted by an 8th grade
> shop class  dropout.  I have to be extremely cautious or the
> slightest touch
> will move the f/stop setting.The current Leica metal work sucks
> compared to
> the Leitz metal work.

Hum.  I have four of the new lenses and I find them made superbly.  I don’t
have the problem you mention about the aperture ring, the focus has just the
right stiffness.  Perhaps there was something wrong with that lense, such
that other examples would not have that problem?

> At one time there was pride in ownership when you owned a Leitz
> Leica.  Now
> the mass production and off-shore sourcing has removed that
> source of pride,
> at least for this writer.

Hum again.  I guess my M6s and lenses must be exceptions then (or perhaps
yours were), as they are all quite well made...possibly not as “well” made
(certainly subjective) as the older ones, but they haven’t have the issues
you have had, or perhaps your standards are different...though I do have a
degree in ME, have quite a bit of machine shop experience, and am very anal
about good mechanical devices...

Regards,

Austin