Subject: Re: [Leica] As The World Turns
From: Ted Grant <tedgrant@shaw.ca>
Date: Sat, 11 Jan 2003 18:05:19 -0800

bdcolen wrote:
> Okay, so I did understand it. In other words, someone's interest in
> taking a photo justifies intentionally violating religious strictures,
> or custom, in a foreign country? Forget camel dung in your face. Forget
> the possibility of being arrested. What happened to basic human decency?
>
> No wonder Americans are so 'beloved' in certain parts of the world these
> days.<<<<<

B. D. ,
It's that type of action that gets many folks in the glue around the world,
not just Americans! :-(  If we as photographers with our Leica's don't
respect the ways and customs, religions, when we tour the world documenting
various cultures, then how can we expect the folks who are merely snap
shooters to honour the customs?.

We, by our published pictures, set the tone for the amateur to follow. So
maybe it's time we began to set the example to be followed and to hell with
publishers and photo editors. I can honestly say I've never taken a belly
button shooting type picture as I could never understand what possible use
it could be, regardless of the "big names" who've done it. And the only
reason it supposedly made any sense was .... no one had ever done it before
"big name did" then it was promoted as a "magnificently new wave" of picture
taking as it showed people how they really were!  Bull shit, it just created
a bunch of meaningless exposures!

Well shooting from your hip, belly button or ass, doesn't create anything
but a huge number of meaningless exposures where maybe..... just maybe, the
shooter might get something different. In general if doing this breaks the
rules of a countries customs and religion when you are a visitor, it's
degrading and puts all photographers down.........  regardless of whom they
are!

ted

Replies: Reply from Jerry Lehrer <jerryleh@pacbell.net> (Re: [Leica] As The World Turns)