Subject: Re: [Leica] M motor drive/winder/RabidWinder
From: "Don Dory" <dorysrus@mindspring.com>
Date: Wed, 8 Jan 2003 21:17:18 -0500

Austin, I have had an MP and currently regularly use Canon's version of a
"vit" on a IV.  I also have had the new motor for about 18 months on a M6
classic.  I find that the new motor is just what the doctor ordered for most
shooting.  Benefits are, quietness in single frame mode, camera always ready
for the next shot, no motion from the photographer so the subject doesn't
know for sure that you have taken a picture, pretty long battery life(80-100
rolls on first set), relatively small size.  As with the RapidWinder you can
always use the normal wind at any time.

Problems would include the shutter release pumping which bothers some, it is
taller and heavier, you can wind off a whole roll on a bumpy plane ride if
you don't turn it off, and it does use batteries so in severe cold and
stupid photographer forgot spare batteries you lose the rapid advance.

Compared to the leicavit there is less motion on your part to wind to the
next frame so you can devote more attention to the follow on shot.  Also,
you can follow focus and keep shooting which is very difficult with the
"vit"

Hope this adds data points,

Don
dorysrus@mindspring.com