Subject: Re: [Leica] Why fashion photography sucks
From: "Frank Farmer"<frankandaubrey@mindspring.com>
Date: Mon, 06 Jan 2003 17:36:22 -0500

One thing the does deserve our consideration (and hasn't yet come up), whether
you like certain "fashion" photogs or not is that it is press - good or bad.
And press attracts folks.  The fact of the matter is that these photographers
are getting a ridiculous amount of exposure (excuse the pun).  That, in turn,
will likely produce interest in those that may one day be a great photograher.
 The extreme contrast of the Guess adds, the less pronounced contrast of
Calvin Klein adds, hell, even adds for Victoria Secret.  They all produce some
image that is possessed of a certain degree of perfectness - even if it is a
"heroin chic."  That being said, it's the photos that get seen that inspire
people to pick up a camera and say "I want to do that" (or "I can do better").
And, while many wonderful photographers are producing images of what I view to
be much more valuable social commentary than a Guess add, they are sadly not
seen by nearly as wide of an audience.  Seeking out exhibits of that kind is a
step that most often occurs after interest is sparked by something that may
not be the pinnacle of the medium.  So, while I enjoy some fashion adds and
fashion shots and loathe others, the press produced by these photos may very
well bring in the next great generation of photographers - those who like all
those on this list - undoubtably will love the medium.  Just my $.02.

Frank