Subject: Re: [Leica] Why fashion photography sucks
From: Adam Bridge <abridge@mac.com>
Date: Mon, 6 Jan 2003 11:26:17 -0800

On 1/6/03 animal  wrote:

>Heroin chic ?A term conceived by the garbage press.
>Luckily though they had no clue what a heroin addict looks like.
>At one time some and especially mrs moss received flack of being accused as
>a bad role model for anorectic girls smoking teenagers and the like.
>Must be a lot of people here who know what causes those diseases.
>simon

Of course it's the mass-media IMAGE of what a heroin addict looks like that
people react to - not the real thing because in many strata of society the real
thing is (fortunately) hard to come by.

Unfortunately the images of hyper-thinness translated by the mass media does
bind into the control issues which often underlie eating disorders. Just
remember that Marilyn Monroe would now how way too much body fat in our current
movie climate.

It's hard to watch young women wrestle with these issues -- I know two have
nearly died. Fortunately they both had access to heroic (and very expensive)
intervention which has saved their lives.

But I agree that the media is only one aspect of this very complex problem.

Adam Bridge