Subject: [Leica] Lens CLA Problem
From: Patrick Jelliffe <pbjbike@yahoo.com>
Date: Mon, 6 Jan 2003 08:54:00 -0800 (PST)

Can I get your opinions?

13 months ago I sent my Canon sm 50mm 1.2 lens for a
CLA.  The glass was very clear, but both the aperture
and focus were stiff enough to be a problem.  There
was oil on the aperture blades.  The $100 CLA seemed
to do the trick until 2 months ago, when I noticed the
aperture was stiff from 2.8 to 1.2, and observed a
small amount of lubricant near the inner 1/4 of
several blades.  After a roll or two, that migrated,
and now lubricant covers all the blades, causing two
of them to hang-up at 2.0.  I've stopped using the
lens for fear of breaking anything.  The repair
facility has refused to back their work saying that
the Canon 50 1.2 is prone to this lubricant migration.
 The lens was never in extreme conditions--no Gobi
Desert, no glove box storage, etc., and has not seen
much use, (literally under 10 rolls).  Am I wrong to
be annoyed about this lack of service?  Have others
had this problem with this lens?

Thanks,

Patrick