Subject: [Leica] Why fashion photography sucks
From: James Michael Lennon <jim@JMLENNON.COM>
Date: Sun, 5 Jan 2003 14:29:48 -0500

Kim is absolutely right. Sometimes we all put too much pressure on
ourselves. Pretending to be great photographers like Ansel Adams,
HCB, or Mahatma Gandhi is utterly pretentious, n'est pas?  With
Gandhi's unique approach to life, is it any wonder that he was a
Leica photographer?  Strictly a one camera/one lens man, he kept his
IIIc right beside his spinning wheel, ready to seize the decisive
moment.

Admittedly, Gandhi didn't shoot a lot of fashion, busy as he was
driving British colonialists off the Indian subcontinent. And maybe
that is why he is not so much in vogue any more. Nowadays, people are
more practical. These days there is no time to be thoughtful, much
less compassionate, which is why (as Kim insightfully points out)
Martin Howard's comments that fashion photography a la Helmut Newton
leaves something to be desired, is woefully out of touch with the
times. Gandhi is out of fashion. War is in fashion. Isn't that ironic?