Subject: [Leica] thoughts on PAW
From: "lea" <lea@whinydogpress.com>
Date: Tue, 31 Dec 2002 07:36:43 -0600

I didn't make it.

Well, technically I didn't make it because I didn't post all my images from
every week for this past year.

But in reality, I made it. I took a shot a week, every week this year...just
sometimes not with my Leica. And sometimes what I shot didn't generate
enough excitement in me to post it on the web and try to generate excitement
in others.

So I consider it a bust. Like careening off the new years diet on January
5th or stopping smoking as a resolution only to grab a quick one on the back
stoop when no one else is home. I may be the only one who notices I didn't
make it...but it's enough that I know and it makes me want to start over
fresh in the new year and do it all again and REALLY make it this time. All
the way through...start to finish.

But I'm changing my rules. I get to post with any camera...I tried this year
to stay true to the Leica but truth is, I shoot with a small arsenal of
cameras...Leica, Canon, Olympus, Mamiya, Pentax...and making PAW images only
using the Leica was almost impossible for me once my Photo a Day project of
Lauren came to a close in May. Happily, 99% of those images were shot with
the M6. And I loved every 1/60th of a second of it.

I'm using my Canon gear (EOS line) more of late and enjoying the 85mm
portrait lens like I never have before. I haven't pulled out the macro lens
in ages...I don't miss it yet but I know I will before long. I play
constantly with my digital E-10 but never really take the work I do with it
very seriously. I'm not using either of my medium format cameras at all
lately...but now that I have the 645 neg holder for my new Saunders
enlarger, that is likely to change.

To those of you who made it, I applaud you. Having made 41 weeks myself, I
can appreciate the work and time you put into your photography, printing,
scanning and posting. I didn't comment much on what I saw...the challenge
seemed to me to be more in doing than in responding to what was being done.
Pat yourselves on the back. You deserve it.

2003, get ready...

Lea Murphy
Whiny Dog Press www.whinydogpress.com
New images www.whinydogpress.com/new.html