Subject: RE: [Leica] Photo books under the tree?
From: Carl Pultz <cpultz@earthlink.net>
Date: Sun, 29 Dec 2002 15:01:13 -0500

Wade wrote:

"That said, I'm just about to start "Now Let us Praise Famous Men", both for
the photographs and for the controversial Ageeian prose."

Ugh. Good luck. I think Evans was the better writer. Worth reading is: And
their children after them : the legacy of Let us now praise famous men,
James Agee, Walker Evans, and the rise and fall of cotton in the South by
Dale Maharidge & Michael Williamson. They go back in the early '80s to find
out what happened to the families and get at some of the effect Famous Men
had on them. Good photos, excellent reportage.

I've just finished Robert Doisneau, A Photographer's Life, by Peter
Hamilton. There was a great shooter who was articulate and wrote very well,
judging by the translations. For years the French wouldn't publish a book
of photos unless a writer was involved. Doisneau had several projects fail
because of problems with authors, and Hamilton was convinced that Doisneau
would have done fine writing text of his own. Like Evans's NYC, in Paris
photographers and writers shared the same scene and there was a
cross-pollination of ideas between them.

On topic: There is a very informative appendix describing his equipment and
technique.

Doisneau: "As soon as I could get hold of equipment that allowed me to work
in low light (1952) ... I wanted to try it out in some experiments...The
first photos weren't very good. They were done with the 50mm (Summitar on a
IIIc) and it's lens hood, which wasn't to brilliant because you can see
some flare around the edges of the frame."

Hamilton: "But although he used this new camera (M3) for a considerable
amount of work, Robert confided to the author ... that he always found the
camera slightly difficult to work with, because with lenses longer ... than
50mm ... the rangefinder focusing (was) less than ideal."

He was a master of the Rolleiflex, but in late years favored R5s.

I got that book from the library. No books under the tree this year
:-(  I'd asked Santa for a copy of Eggleston's Guide which has just been
reprinted (the pictures are kind of somber looking in this new addition -
disappointingly flat, even though I thought the original was too garish) or
a copy of Szarkowski's gorgeous volume of Atget. I love the classics.

Carl

Replies: Reply from Andrew Schroter <schroter@optonline.net> (Re: [Leica] Photo books under the tree?)