Subject: Re: [Leica] b/w and color
From: Dante Stella <dante@umich.edu>
Date: Thu, 19 Dec 2002 19:39:45 -0500

I shoot color and chromogenic film with 35mm (for the most part), but I
do almost all of my black-and-white in medium format (unless it's
something ultra low-light).

MF (even as small as 6x4.5) trounces 35mm in the B/W tonality and grain
department, generally at no loss in speed (you have to use 100-speed
film to get the benefits of expensive 35mm glass; you can use 400 in
MF; so that 100/3.5 on a 6x9 becomes the equivalent of a 50/1.7.

As to the choice between the two, I tend to agree that removing color
allows more precise control over lighting.  While I have seen a lot of
nice color pictures, color is, as someone pointed out, often an
incidental property of the work.