Subject: Re: [Leica] b/w and color
From: Steven Alexander <alexpix@worldnet.att.net>
Date: Wed, 18 Dec 2002 10:14:42 -0500

on 12/18/02 7:09 AM, Alastair Firkin at firkin@ncable.net.au wrote:

>> Gang,
>>
>> I am curious what all goes into your decision to shoot black and
>> white or color.
>> What is your thought process in this decision?

I have made my living as a photographer since 195? and after 1963 most of
the images have been created in color.  My personal work is almost
exclusively B&W.
IMHO b&w demands more involvement of the viewer to understand the image and
allows a greater concentration on design elements by the photographer.  When
working in color the important first consideration is always the
COLOR...correct color balance, proper balance of colors, good understanding
of color theory, color design and importance of color placement within
picture etc.  I do not want to say that b&w doesn't require understanding of
many of the same things and additional understanding of the translation of
color into monochromic images, it just is not the paramount issue in making
the photograph.

I do not wish to imply that one is better or correct, just that they two
different forms of visual communication each offering creative opportunity
to a photographer.  Without a client I prefer Black and White...but I'm a
old fotoman.

Happy snaps,
Steven Alexander