Subject: RE: [Leica] 1Ds digital results
From: Peter Klein <pklein@2alpha.net>
Date: Mon, 16 Dec 2002 11:36:05 -0800 (PST)

B.D., I think there is one very good reason to use Leica glass you haven't
mentioned:  The ability to use a lens wide open with much less loss of
performance than you get with almost all other glass.

Are you saying that in available light conditions, at f/1.4 - 2.8,
pro-level Canon and Nikkor lenses do as well as the newest Leica glass?
I'm curious, not arguing.

I see the difference between classic Summicrons and current Leica lenses.
Close down a little, and it hardly matters for most practical purposes.
Wide open, it's there. Have current pro-grade SLR lenses improved that
much as well?

Of course, with available light, we also get into the SLR vs. RF stuff,
like focusing accuracy, lack of mirror slap, etc.

- --Peter Klein
Seattle, WA

B.D. says: