Subject: RE: [Leica] digital results
From: "Austin Franklin" <darkroom@ix.netcom.com>
Date: Sun, 15 Dec 2002 12:34:40 -0500

Hi B.D.,

> Don't bet on getting it "very cheap in a year's time."

I think competition will bring the price down significantly, whether it's
what you'd call "very cheap", is another issue...

> One, I'm going to
> guess that you aren't going to see any major jumps in resolution from
> the 11-14 meg range for a while - although I could, of course, be wrong;

I don't think you're wrong, in fact, I think that even if we do see higher
resolution, the image may not be any better, as smaller sensor geometry
means higher noise.

> and, two, with cameras at the 11-14 meg range, most photographers will
> not feel the need to immediately trade in their equipment to jump to the
> next level - at least not for resolution, which at the present high end
> exceeds the needs of people shooting for newspapers, magazines, and most
> print uses.

Agreed.

> Obviously, if there are vast improvements in color
> rendition, low light sensitivity, etc., and number of high resolution
> frames that can be shot per second, that could effect things. But I
> suspect the days of regular annual or 18 month trade-ins may be coming
> to an end.

Sounds right...

> And "ugly?" Who cares.

I don't think it's "ugly", but I've never held one in my hands...

> The R8 is uuuuuuugly, but its fans love it - and
> even think it's beautiful. ;-) The question is not, "what does it look
> like?" The question is, "what do the images it produces look like?" At
> least I thought that was what photography was all about. :-)

Oh, come on now B.D.  EVERYONE knows, and especially YOU, of all people,
it's not how good your pictures look, but how good YOU look while taking
them.  Gee...get a clue...I'll even spot ya' a few bucks for a vowel ;-)

Regards,

Austin