Subject: RE: [Leica] 1Ds digital results
From: "Austin Franklin" <darkroom@ix.netcom.com>
Date: Sun, 15 Dec 2002 12:29:29 -0500

Wilfred,

> White balance and overall color fidelity is often
> superior to film in good digital cameras,

I believe you are misusing the word "fidelity".  Fidelity means "accuracy of
reproduction".  It is physically impossible for digital cameras using Bayer
pattern sensors to have higher "fidelity" than film (unless they have a LOT
of sensors, and 11M sensors doesn't come close), simply because of the color
interpolation that happens due to the Bayer pattern sensor.

Now, the color may LOOK better/cleaner etc. to some, but that is not
something you can attribute to "fidelity".

> Negative film can still capture a wider range of light than any
> non-scanning digital sensor I've seen or read about thus far.

Hum.  What are the ranges you are seeing?  My information shows they are
equal, with an edge on digital, especially for color.  For B&W, they are the
same, pretty much, but you have to use compression and compensating
development to get that many stops on the film...but it is do-able.

Regards,

Austin