Subject: Re: [Leica] Do I need a 'slim' filter for a 24mm elmarit?
From: Peter Klein <pklein@2alpha.net>
Date: Tue, 10 Dec 2002 18:06:05 -0800

John Straus wrote:

>The M is (was) different for some reason. I figure since the hoods are so
>small and stay on pretty well that is my protection.

I'm with John on this.  The hoods protect the lens from fingerprints and
all but the most on-axis projectile.  Also, a hood should theoretically be
a great shock-absorber if you drop the lens.  Like crumpling sheet metal on
a car.  I just leave the hoods on all the time.  Some of the new Leica
hoods are insanely expensive, but they're still less than the lenses.

I buy generic or junk-box lens caps that fit over the hoods.   Or, I use a
Hood Hat (stretchy wetsuit- like fabric).   Cheap caps and hood hats are
can be tossed cavalierly into the bag. If they get lost or broken, who
cares?  When I change lenses, I cap the one I'm putting away if there's
time.  If not, I don't worry about it and do it later.

I do use rear caps, especially since many Leica lenses have rear elements
close to the mount, and a scratch on the rear element is far more optically
serious than one on the front.

- --Peter Klein
Seattle, WA