Subject: Re: [Leica] Do I need a 'slim' filter for a 24mm elmarit?
From: John Straus <Mail@SlideOne.com>
Date: Tue, 10 Dec 2002 13:35:39 -0600

I loVe you old guys ;D

Anyway I figure I'll throw in my $2 even though it's futile...

Filters: I have filters on all my SLR lenses and have none on my M lenses.
Why you ask? It seems my SLR has a greater gravitational pull and 3 times
over the past 10 years I have seen my camera & lens hurl themselves at the
ground!! All three times it was on the filter and either just bent it or
cracked the glass as well. So my SLR filters have saved me many times. My
latest lens issue is with a 100mm that I dropped when on my last trip. A few
days in I cracked the filter and was sure I'd see some issue in the corner
of my photos. But I said screw it and still shot with it for the next two
weeks, AFAIK all the shots look ok.

The M is (was) different for some reason. I figure since the hoods are so
small and stay on pretty well that is my protection.

I never use caps as I see them as a hassle and they slow you down if your
trying to be fast. It's easier to grab the lens from your bag, mount it, and
if it needs a cleaning blow on it or wipe it with your shirt and as long as
your not wearing hemp it should be a-ok :)

- --
John Straus
Chicago, IL
http://SlideOne.com