Subject: RE: [Leica] Life at 560mm
From: "Robert G. Stevens" <robsteve@hfx.andara.com>
Date: Sat, 07 Dec 2002 02:52:13 -0400

At 10:25 PM 12/6/2002 -0800, Frank Filippone wrote:
>Yes, not all of us can affford $4000 glass......!  I am honestly trying to
>figure out if the older and more reasonably priced lens, when mounted for
>Nikon F, will give me something special.......compared to a 300 F2.8 Tamron
>SP lens with 2x extender ( special version for this lens) , which costs
>about the same as the 400 F5.6 or 6.8 Telyt from about 1970 or
>so..............

Frank:

You would be getting a deal if you can find any modern 400mm f2.8 by any
manufacturer for $4000 new.

Here is a picture of me using the lens at a night football game:

http://www.robsteve.com/images/IRC/Rob400.jpg

I had one of the 400mm f5.6 Telyts  a few years ago and shot some eagle
pictures with it. The images were on par with eagle pictures I shot with a
Tamron 300 f2.8.  They may even have been a bit better.  The newer Leica
400mm 6.8 Telyt is cheaper and lighter than the Tamron 300 f2.8.

Incidentally,  a few weeks ago I bought a Leica 400mm f6.8 Telyt to try
doing some in flight shots of eagles.  These shots are just too hard to do
with the big 400mm f2.8 on a tripod.  I will post some images when eagle
season comes in January.

Regards,

Robert