Subject: [Leica] Reflex vs. RF
From: "Tom Lianza" <tlianza@sequelimaging.com>
Date: Thu, 5 Dec 2002 09:38:46 -0500

Hi,

I have Leica RF's (M2 M6), SLR's (R6,R7) and Nikon SLR's(including the D100)
.  At various times I use each of them.  One thing that I can say is that
the Nikon D100 has changed everything.  There are things that I simply won't
do with film any more (theater photography, events, etc.).   I'm leaving for
Japan on Friday and I will pack my M6, the tri-elmar, 90mm tele-elmarit, 35
'lux, 75 lux and a Nikon Coolpix 990.  This will all fit with film, the sf20
flash and the winder in a messenger bag.  That combination just shines when
I travel by plane.

When I look at the images that I have taken over the years, I have to say
that there are more Nikon SLR images that I like than the RF images.  That's
primarily due to the Nikon f100 / 20-35mm f2.8 zoom combination.  The leica
SLR's are great outdoor cameras and very reliable I use them at sporting
events (although the D100 is used more and more for that) and outside in
rough weather.  Leica finally brought out a wide angle zoom... but alas too
late for me.  As far as Leica lens quality goes, I think the 50mm summicron,
35 lux and 75 lux are very special lenses.  When I compare these to the
Nikon 28-70 mm there are real differences and the Leicas win.  On the SLR
side, the new Nikon 28-70 is superior to the Leica 28-70 and the 35-70 zooms
and it is a stop faster. At 90mm Nikon 80-200 zoom is better than my 90mm
sumicron M when used at f5.6.   I have found that film differences and
exposure situations make a bigger difference than the optics.  For instance,
I can shoot at much lower speeds with the Leica RF than the SLR's.

In my opinion, while the shooting situation may have a large impact on the
equipment that you choose, I don't believe that the equipment you use, per
se, is going to have a huge impact on the work you do.Many very successful
photographers find the automation and quality that Nikon and Canon provide
to be  quite suitable for their work.  Many of the people on this group are
rabid fans of the RF.  In the end, it's the image that counts.

Tom Lianza
Technical Director
Sequel Imaging Inc.
25 Nashua Rd.