Subject: Re: [Leica] Christer Strömholm
From: Christer Almqvist <chris@almqvist.net>
Date: Sun, 1 Dec 2002 14:46:31 +0100

Yes, this is an exhibition not to miss. Absolutely not if you are a
Leica guy. I saw the exhibition this summer in Stockholm. 'Merit le
detour' as they say in France. Not only is it excellent, it is also
huge.

Some years ago,  Strömholm's work was exhibited in a small town in
southern Sweden (Höganäs?) but the exhibition was closed by the mayor
as he found many of the pictures morally unacceptable.  So much for
Sweden being a liberal country. There were pictures of ttransvestites
(oh gosh my Eudora objects to that word, but I get around it by
deliberately mis-spelling it), prostitutes and other people now
referred to as fringe groups. The exhibition was in a community hall
which was under the mayor's jurisdiction so he was able to close it.
Lots of protest, but I do not know how the story ended.

I actually met the lady  (??) 'Bleka damen' (Pale lady) (the top
picture if you click on the URL below) on my first job abroad in the
early 1960's with the Singer Sewing Machine Co. I was staying at the
Hotel Arycasa  and they had a bar serving good dinner at the counter
also at times when northern Europeans want to eat, so I often went
there. One evening I saw the back of this lady (?) sitting at the
counter and I placed myself not too close, but close enough to her to
strike up a conversation.

Two minutes later she asked me 'Voulez vous coucher avec moi?' I
explained that my first priority was for food, so s/he told me that
generally s/he worked out the bar at the Ritz, should my appetite
develop in other directions. Before leaving s/he changed some large
bills into smaller ones telling me 'In my job one has to do a lot of
tipping in order not to get thrown out.'

Chris