Subject: [Leica] Adjusting the late 135/2.8-M goggles
From: John Collier <jbcollier@shaw.ca>
Date: Sat, 23 Nov 2002 09:23:38 -0700

I just purchased a 135/3/2.8-M from a US company and the vertical
alignment was off. It would have been a real hassle to try and return
the lens to the vender what with duties and brokerage fees so I decided
to adjust it myself. It is very simple to do. You need a set of
jeweler's screwdrivers, a tripod, a locking cable release and a 35mm
focusing screen. I used an old K screen I had lying around from a Nikon
F2.

- ------------
This procedure is for the later lenses with the eyes cast with the lens
body. I have not examined an earlier lens with the goggles that attach
by screws. The early lens may or may not be similar.
- ------------

First remove the back of the M camera by removing the baseplate and
sliding the hinge pin on the left side of the back. It will have a
small post you can move with your finger or a phillips screw head you
can move with the point of a pen. Put the baseplate back on and mount
the camera/ lens on the tripod. Use the tripod mounting screw on the
lens. Set the shutter to B and lock it open with the cable release.
Frame something at least two kilometers away and use the ground glass
screen to check if the camera framelines are properly indicating the
center of the negative area. Check to see how the rangefinder images
line up. We will assume that both need adjusting.

To adjust the frameline position at infinity, remove the two large
adjusting port cap screws on either side of the finder ocular on the
metal plate covering the rear of the goggles. Adjust the lens by
turning BOTH adjusting screws. Always turn the "loosening" screw first
and turn each screw by equal amounts. When you are done, put the cap
screws back in.

To adjust the coincidence of the rangefinder images, remove the two
black wax plugs over the adjusting screws at the bottom and side of the
round rangefinder ocular. They work against the rear element. Now
remove the four small screws around the viewfinder ocular and the three
small screws around the rangefinder ocular. Lift off the metal plate.
The rear element of the rangefinder ocular is now free and can fall out
so be careful. Now you can see how the flat metal spring and the two
set screws are able to move the rear element. Mount the lens back on
the camera and the assembly back on the tripod. Again focus on infinity
and use the set screws to adjust the rangefinder images so they line
up. You may have to rotate the rear element to get the proper
adjustment. When adjusted correctly, replace the metal plate as this
secures the rear element. Now double check your adjustment again. DO
NOT ATTEMPT TO ADJUST THE SET SCREWS UNLESS THE REAR METAL PLATE IS
LOOSE. When satisfied, plug the adjustment holes with either black
crayon or black candle wax.

Put the camera back back on and pat your self on the back for being
such a clever fellow.

John Collier