Subject: Re: [Leica] Swimming!
From: Martin Howard <mvhoward@mac.com>
Date: Thu, 21 Nov 2002 15:48:39 -0800

If you consider these photos to be clichés and boring, why not look for
other stuff to shoot?  As others have pointed out, the actual swimming
action seems to be pretty well scripted -- prob. not much you can do
there, unless you immerse yourself in the water, or somesuch.  But look
for stuff along the side lines.  Perhaps warms ups, friends & family
cheering, or anxious onlookers?  I've always thought that the
space-monkey look of some of the swimmers themselves (before they've
got into the water) would make good, stylistic portraits with some
really super-saturated film (especially if shot outdoors).

Alternatively, a lot of the cliché seems to lie in the compressed
"perspective" of a long telephoto lens shot from a position close to
water level (in vertical terms).  Try something different: Climb up on
the 10m diving board and shoot with a 21mm or 15mm straight down.  Or
whatever.

M.