Subject: RE: [Leica] Wedding Photography
From: Randy Jensen <randy@jamzcheer.com>
Date: Mon, 18 Nov 2002 08:32:06 -0800

<<<<I may be out of line here, and quite possibly I've got hold of the
wrong end of the stick, but I get the impression that Ted doesn't
actually like shooting weddings...>>>>

I enjoyed Ted's summation of wedding photography, but my own experience is
very different.  Maybe it's what you expect going into it.  It would be very
easy to shoot typical set-up shots and leave, and most clients would even be
happy about that.  But the part that keeps it fun for me is catching the
moments in-between...  and the clients like those shots even better.

If you choose to do wedding photography, first off you have to make it WORTH
it, by charging enough.  It's not cheap, and should never seem that way.
The reason I use my Leicas is it keeps it interesting for me.  I take b/w
'photojournalistic' shots for MYSELF primarily - it's just nice that the
client thinks they're for them and likes them!

Whenever I start to dread shooting a wedding at all, I mix things up a
little.  Maybe I'll plan to do some infrared - or I'll be inspired by a
photograph from a completely different source, but use it as inspiration for
something in the next wedding I do.  Most times these experiments work and
become part of my repertoire.

There's no way out of the formal shots that the client expects.  But adding
other "fun" parts to the mix makes these more bearable.  It helps that my
6-foot tall wife assists me.  People don't argue with tall women.  lol.

I may be out of line here, and quite possibly I've got hold of the
wrong end of the stick, but I get the impression that Ted doesn't
actually like shooting weddings...

;)

M.

- --