Subject: [Leica] IIIf thoughts
From: Howard Sanner <flagstad@mindspring.com>
Date: Sat, 16 Nov 2002 15:53:45 -0500

	I really enjoy using screwmount Leicas. In fact, it was when I
got my IIIc that I began to understand why people got all sweaty
over Leicas. By contrast, I did (and do) consider my M Leicas to
be merely very nice cameras.

	That said, I suggest those who have spent their lives using SLRs
would probably be happier with an M camera as a first Leica.
There is simply much less culture shock involved. The screwmount
Leicas seem to be from outer space compared to even a totally
manual SLR.

	The IIIf, either red or black dial, is quite a good performer,
though. You can see some pictures taken with one of each, and a
50 Summicron and 50 Elmar at the URLs below.

http://www.mindspring.com/~flagstad/horn/vienna/wienvlv1.html

http://www.mindspring.com/~flagstad/horn/hornport.html

	The 50 Elmar makes for the most compact package. It really is
quite pocketable.

	IMHO, the best thing to do is to find one that has had a recent
CLA, preferably with new shutter curtains. You'll be money ahead
if you do. My experience with screwmount Leicas is that if they
don't need the above work when you get them, they soon will if
you actually use them to any extent. The rangefinders on the
post-War cameras, particularly, tend to lose a lot of their
contrast. Either be sure the CLA included a new beam splitter or
that the RF is otherwise good and contrasty before you buy. I've
never found the ORAKO/OKARO filters to be helpful, but YMMV.

						Howard Sanner
						flagstad@mindspring.com