Subject: Re: [Leica] M7
From: Nathan Wajsman <wajsman@webshuttle.ch>
Date: Fri, 15 Nov 2002 06:44:40 +0100

Just to clarify: yes, Leica is expensive here in Switzerland, but so is
Nikon, Canon etc. The Leica prices are simply in line with the overall
price level here which is higher than almost anywhere else, whether you
are talking tomatoes in the supermarket or a Leica M7.

The list price of an M7 is 4795 CHF (about $3200) and most dealers sell
it for that. As everywhere else, if you have a special relationship with
a dealer, you may get a discount, but I don't, so when I wanted an M7
back in April, I bought it at RG Lewis in London. That cost 1800 pounds,
or about $2600, and after the VAT reclaim the price came down to
NYC-type prices.

Nathan

Robert G. Stevens wrote:
> At 10:00 PM 11/14/2002 +0100, Nathan Wajsman wrote:
>
>> Something seems seriously wrong with the global distribution system of
>> Leica if that is the case. Here in Zurich you can walk into 4-5
>> different camera stores and walk out with a new M7 after leaving an
>> obscene amount of Swiss Francs behind...
>>
>> Nathan
>

> You just figured out why the dealer has them in stock.  It has something
> to do with the obscene amount of money they are charging.   Remember, it
> is the dealer that has it in stock, not Leica.

- --
Nathan Wajsman
Herrliberg (ZH), Switzerland

e-mail: wajsman@webshuttle.ch