Subject: Re: [Leica] Zone Focus, was AndrewsEye
From: Johnny Deadman <lists@johnbrownlow.com>
Date: Tue, 12 Nov 2002 16:26:07 -0500

On Monday, November 11, 2002, at 06:31 PM, Steve LeHuray wrote:

>> In many (most?) cases, it's not a question of focussing quickly: it's
>> question of zone focussing, combined -- when necessary -- with moving
>> y'er feet.
>>
>> M.
>
> ...yes many people zone focus (I do not), with practice anybody can
> learn to
> focus, even on moving objects. Even if one wants to zone focus, I
> think it
> would be an advantage later to practice focusing in the beginning. And
> in
> low light and wide open, zone focus really does not work very well.

Zone focussing is the work of the devil.

The only way I allow myself to do it is to preset my focus to a
distance I know I can estimate accurately (my normal shooting distance)
and either wait for the subject to hit that distance, or move my feet
like Martin (hi Martin) sez until the distance is right. Most times
it's quicker to focus.

Zone focussing is one of the biggest reasons for boring photographs I
know. f/11 wide-angle middle distance 1/125 blah. Unless you're Garry
Winogrand you have to do better than that I think.
- --
John Brownlow