Subject: Re: [Leica] OT Color Management with PS and Epson - Help
From: John Brownlow <lists@johnbrownlow.com>
Date: Mon, 11 Nov 2002 09:27:59 -0500

On 11/11/02 8:14 AM, "Ernest Nitka" <enitka@twcny.rr.com> wrote:

> This weekend I tried in vain to institute color management and need
> help.  The parts of the system are Photoshop 7 Mac OS X and Epson 1280.  My
> monitor is calibrated JUST with software to AdobeRGB.  I am not looking for
> accuracy between scanned images and the monitor only the accuracy from
> Monitor  ( iMac) and my printer.  I use Epson Heavyweight Matte.
>
> Here's what I've tried:
> 1- take the TIF and soft proof it with the ICC of the paper I'm using and
> then correct that image to my liking and then print using Standard setting
> WITHOUT print setting reflecting the ICC of the paper
>
> 2- Do #1 but at the final stage input the ICC of the paper to the print
> setting
>
> 3- Forget soft proofing - adjust the TIF to my liking but at the time of
> printing input the ICC of the paper to the print settings.
>
> What should I be doing - not soft proofing, soft proofing AND input the ICC
> of the paper in print settings?

It's really easy.

Calibrate your monitor.

Set the icc profile in 'proof setup' to the icc of the paper you are using.
Use 'Relative Colorimetric' as the method and have 'black point
compensation' unchecked.

Choose 'proof colors' before printing

Make changes based on what you see

In the 'print with preview' dialog drop down the 'advanced options' box

In Color Management set 'source space' to 'proof setup' ie the ICC of the
paper you are using.

Set 'output space' to same as source.

In the epson driver turn all color management off.

That's it. Email me offlist at <john@johnbrownlow.com> and I can send you a
PDF with more details.
- --
Johnny Deadman