Subject: Re: [Leica] OT Color Management with PS and Epson - Help
From: Rolfe Tessem <rolfe@ldp.com>
Date: Mon, 11 Nov 2002 09:16:10 -0500

- --On Monday, November 11, 2002 8:14 AM -0500 Ernest Nitka
<enitka@twcny.rr.com> wrote:

> This weekend I tried in vain to institute color management and need help.
> The parts of the system are Photoshop 7 Mac OS X and Epson 1280.  My
> monitor is calibrated JUST with software to AdobeRGB.  I am not looking
> for accuracy between scanned images and the monitor only the accuracy
> from Monitor  ( iMac) and my printer.  I use Epson Heavyweight Matte.
>
> Here's what I've tried:
> 1- take the TIF and soft proof it with the ICC of the paper I'm using and
> then correct that image to my liking and then print using Standard
> setting WITHOUT print setting reflecting the ICC of the paper
>
> 2- Do #1 but at the final stage input the ICC of the paper to the print
> setting
>
> 3- Forget soft proofing - adjust the TIF to my liking but at the time of
> printing input the ICC of the paper to the print settings.
>
> What should I be doing - not soft proofing, soft proofing AND input the
> ICC of the paper in print settings?

It is not completely clear from the above exactly what you are doing but if
you are using color management in Photoshop, then the Epson's color
management needs to be turned off so that the printer just prints exactly
what it is sent. In the print dialog, this is under "color management" and
you would select "no color adjustment". Also, I think you are probably in
for a lot of frustration until you break down and get a ColorVision Spyder
or similar product to profile your monitor properly.

- --
Rolfe Tessem
rolfe@ldp.com
Lucky Duck Productions, Inc.