Subject: Re: Insurance...was Re: [Leica] Stolen Gear M Gear in Chicago...
From: Craig Schroeder <craig@craigschroeder.com>
Date: Sun, 10 Nov 2002 19:22:14 -0600

State Farm is on the low side for this part of your coverage and $1500
is quite common.  All-risk listing is actually quite affordable (added
to your homeowners) when you factor in the potential things that can
occur to photo gear and the places you go with it.  An umbrella
liability rider (even covers libel) is almost a requirement in these
litigious times and specified coverage on expensive gear like-a Leica
(pun intended) owner accumulates is a very rational expense.  I lost
some pricey gear (medium format stuff) last year along with tools and a
new high-end mountain bike, so I know the violated feeling of losing
property of some value to theft.  I'm glad I wasn't home or I'd likely
be doing 10-20 on a murder rap!  Within a week, I had a check for the
complete loss and my sour attitude of the event was lifted a bit,
anyway.  Let's hope for another LUG recovery success!