Subject: [Leica] Sylvia Plachy
From: "Bill Harting" <wharting@adelphia.net>
Date: Sat, 9 Nov 2002 16:11:48 -0500

Don't know what she shoots with (the girl at the next table in Caffe Reggio
said she uses a Leica, among other cameras) but I found her photos, at the
Bateman Gallery 560 Broadway NYC, to be wonderful. The show is titled
"Verso" and as the name implies is a collection of pictures of people's
backs. Backs can be quite eloquent, even erotic. How's that for a teaser?

In the same several days in New York I took in the Avedon show at the Met,
the Winogrand at the ICP, Enzo Sellerio at the Leica Gallery, and a number
of other serendipitous photo encounters. And shot several rolls with some
new hardware from Rich Pinto's.

I found the Avedons, many of them familiar but some less so, as impressive
as always. One premise of the show is that his eye is softening as he ages,
becoming more sympathetic, and surely his picture of Harold Bloom is very
gentle. The picture of his wife I found to be less revealing than I expect
of him, other pictures I found to reveal new dimensions when viewed on a
wall rather than in a book. I enjoyed seeing 8x10 contacts of the 1976
Rolling Stone "The Family": they were as shocking and frightening now as
they originally were (Donald Rumsfeld!!).

I'm trying, but the Winogrands still don't speak to me.

Anybody else seen these shows?

bh