Subject: Re: [Leica] moon shots?
From: Ted Grant <tedgrant@shaw.ca>
Date: Wed, 30 Oct 2002 06:44:30 -0800

Steve Barbour asked:   moon shots?

> I have been trying to get good moon shots with high contrast of surface
detail... R 8,
> long lens,  on a tripod...but my shots always turn out overexposed ...and
I am frustrated
> by my absolute lack of experience to accomplish this sort of thing.  Your
thoughts and
> tips on best ways to get a great exposure much appreciated.<<<

Hi Steve,
I've used the R7 & R8 spot meter on the moon and had very good results for
surface details. It also depends on how long a lens you use, as the moon
needs to be "really big" on the screen for best advantage of the spot meter.

What happens even with the camera spotmeter is the lens isn't long enough to
fill the spot area therefore you have too much effect from the black sky and
it reads "over exposure" and blows out the moon surface. The other thing is
to bracket to the under side of exposure when you're not using a
400-560-800mm or longer.

The other option I suppose is buying a hand held spot meter for the spot
reading. However, I don't think that's necessary if you're using long glass
and the R8 meter with some bracketed frames.
ted