Subject: Re: [Leica] Re: web sizing images
From: "Jim Laurel" <jplaurel@nwlink.com>
Date: Sun, 27 Oct 2002 11:16:50 -0800

This is how I understand dpi as well.  DPI doesn't really matter until you
send a file to your printer.  I believe the standard for Windows nowadays is
96dpi, and you can change this, but all it does is alter the size of
images/fonts, etc on your display.

How you size your images depends on your target audience.  I believe it's
best to size your images so that people can view a complete slide show
without having to scroll to see the whole picture.  And you have to watch
the file size as well, especially if you expect alot of visitors who have
dial up connections.

As recently as 1999/2000 you had to design web pages to accomodate computers
with 800x600 displays and 28.8 dial up connections.  That meant a max image
size around 440 or 540 px long, allowing space for page headers, a
navigation interface, and the ability to display both vertical and
horizontal images without scrolling the page.

Today, it is safe to assume 1024x768 as a minumum with a much higher
percentage of people using braodband.  Allowing for the overhead mentioned
above, I think it's safe to deploy images at a maximum size of 640 pixels on
the longest edge.

As to compression, I struggle to see much improvement in image quality much
past Photoshop's "jpeg 60" quality.  You can see improvements if you look
very close, but the differences are small, as far as I can see, and only
apparent under critical examination.

- --Jim