Subject: [Leica] .58x or .72x?
From: Peter Klein <pklein@2alpha.net>
Date: Thu, 24 Oct 2002 10:24:51 -0700 (PDT)

I'd like a little advice about viewfinder magnification.

I usually wear contact lenses, sometimes standard bifocal glasses.
With contacts, I can see the entire 35mm frame on a .72x Leica M.  With
glasses, I can't.

I'm seriously contemplating the purchase of a new M.  This would be a
*very* long-term purchase, so I'm thinking ahead.  I am 48 years old.
There might come a time when I can no longer wear contacts. And I
sometimes like to give a my eyes a rest from the contacts on weekends.

So I've got the following choices:

1.  Buy .72x.  Live with the loss of 35mm framelines when wearing
    glasses.  If some day I can't wear contacts any more, sell the .72x
    and buy a .58x.

2.  Buy .72x. Also buy a 35mm brightline finder, use it when wearing
    glasses.

3.  Buy .58x. Use my Leica 1.25x magnifier on it when wearing
    contacts, take it off when wearing glasses.

When I've tried a .58x Leica (or the .6x Hexar) in a store, I've
disliked them.  While it was nice to see the 35mm lines with glasses,
the VF image seemed too small and squinty and less easy to focus.
Getting a .58x also means that I'd lose the use of the 1.25x magnifier
to give me a .9x  viewfinder with a 90mm lens.  And I'd have to have the
magnifier on my camera much of the time to give me .72.

The order in which I most use my lenses is 50, 35, 90. The order in
which I *like* my lenses is 50, 90, 35.  I tend toward candid
available-light "people pictures."

I realize no one can make this decision for me.  But I don't have a .58x
M to shoot with for a month to really see how it would go.  So I'd like
to hear from anyone else who has considered .72 vs. .58x.

Thanks,
- --Peter Klein
Seattle, WA

Replies: Reply from Paul Chefurka <paul@chefurka.com> (Re: [Leica] .58x or .72x?)